Steam End-Use Energy Efficiency Measures
Steam end-use could vary according to ship types. The main users of steam include:
- Steam-driven cargo pumps in tankers.
- Steam driven ballast pumps
- Cargo heating
- Fuel storage, treatment and condition system
- Fresh water generation especially in cruise ships
- HVAC system in particular in cruise ships
- Steam – driven an AC generator to generate electricity
Every effort should be made to economies on steam-end use as this would eliminate the need for extra steam generation thus very effective in energy saving (MariEMS 2017).