IMO data collection system
IMO data collection” is applied to ship fuel consumption and possibly other parameters. The system will have three main elements:
- Data collection by ships;
- Flag State functions (data verification and submission); and
- Establishment of a centralised database by the IMO and annual submissions.
- It will be applicable to ships greater than 5000 GT.
- The reporting period will be annually with no need for voyage data declaration.
- IMO number for ship will be part of the data for ship identification purposes.
- Ship’s registered owner will be responsible for submission of data to Administration. Responsibility of reporting remains with the ship.
- Flag Administration will be responsible for verification of the data; this can be delegated to Recognized Organizations (e.g. Class Societies).
- A Statement of Compliance (SOC) will be issued to the ship annually.
- Port State Control will examine the validity of SOC for enforcement.
- Confidentiality of the data and who will have access to collected data.
- Guidelines will be developed to deal with various aspects of relevant regulations detailing main features of data collection method and data verification.
- The need for transport work data or energy efficiency indicator and other relevant data has yet to be debated and decided.