ISO 50001 requires that a company should have an “energy policy”. Accordingly, the energy policy shall state the organization's commitment to achieving energy performance improvement. This energy policy shall be defined and endorsed by top management and ensure that it:
- Is appropriate to the nature and scale of the organization's energy use and consumption;
- Includes a commitment to continual improvement in energy performance;
- Includes a commitment to ensure the availability of information and of necessary resources to achieve objectives and targets;
- Includes a commitment to comply with applicable legal and other requirements;
- Provides the framework for setting and reviewing energy objectives and targets;
- Supports the purchase of energy-efficient products and services, and design for energy performance improvement;
- Is documented communicated at all levels within the Organisation?
- Is regularly reviewed and updated as necessary?
The energy policy is one of the first documents that need to be prepared as it will show the intentions of the top management. All other planning activities then will be based on energy policy. (ISO.org, 2020)